Wednesday, April 11, 2012

One and Done?

It's common when we ask our friends, familiy, and ourselves about potential parenthood to use the plural. "Do you want kids?" "Do I want children?" But what about a child, a kid? Just one? Wes and I always imagined having two kids, but then we actually had a child. I think it was Tina Fey who talked about how the circle of her family didn't feel complete until she had her second child. Others have said they knew immediately upon their first child's birth there would be one or two more. That didn't happen here and Wes felt it too. Our circle is complete; our family will remain a trio. It wasn't so much weighing the pros and cons (although we're doing that) but more a certain feeling. I think of having two kids and my chest tightens and stomach drops. I should listen to that, don't ya think!

Neither Wes nor I is an only child and I can't help but think of all the stereotypical things I've heard about only childdoom. Will she be lonely? Who will she play with? I know she'll have friends around, but all the time? Will she be selfish? This one I know is bull. There are plenty of people with lots of siblings that are self-absorbed and don't share, so I don't think being an only child determines that one. There are upsides to having an only child as well. We can devote more resources to her, take more family trips when there are three instead of four of us. We don't have to raise a newborn again (BIG plus.)

Thinking that Seeley is my one and only has really helped me appreciate every moment with her. I'll only have this baby time once and then it will be done. So, friends, family, if you get pregnant with a girl we have a ton of stuff to give you ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment