Monday, April 8, 2013

Spring Reading

Spring is finally here, and with spring comes spring reading! Well, anytime is reading time really. I love books. I cannot remember the last time I wasn't reading at least two books. It's instinctual for me to grab a book and my poetry notebook anytime I have a spare second. Lately my reading has been almost all poetry. Most people I know don't read poetry or really even know of any contemporary poets, but it's a habit I recommend. You have to read poetry slowly, let it sink in. It forces you to figure out which style you like (confessional? modernist? free form? lyrical?) which creates helpful self-reflection. I also think poetry helps one see the world through different perspectives. In my own writing I like to read a wide range of poetry to help me find my own voice and stay motivated. You read a short, seemingly simple, effective poem and think, "how hard can that be?" The answer is, hard!
Doing anything while taking care of a toddler full-time is hard. But doing creative work while taking care of a one-and-a-half year old sometimes seems impossible. I've been writing consistently, which is awesome, but some days my mind is just...gone. The hard thing with creative work is that it's not just a matter of getting it done. It has to reflect the idea you had in your mind, make a statement. It's difficult because you're making something from nothing. I'm complaining but really I'm happy with my progress and trying to give myself a break. Enjoy my spring reading list, and head down to the library and check out some poetry!
One of my favorite confessional poets. Her poems are layered and fiercely moving.

My other favorite poet. The images, word choices and turns of phrase Louise Gluck creates are amazing.

My non-poetry book. Chef Samuelsson is a great writer who's had an amazing life and knows how to talk about food, family and drive.

I'm just discovering George Oppen and so far I love is short, powerful poems (I tend to write shorter poems so it's a great model.)

No comments:

Post a Comment