Thursday, September 13, 2012

30 Days: Goodbye to My Something-Month Old

Bring it on year two!
 
October 13th is 30 days away. Thirty days until we celebrate Seeley's first birthday. How do I almost have a one year old? How was this simultaneously the longest and fastest year of my life? I have been an emotional rollercoaster lately; mostly because she's growing so fast and, honestly, I'm so happy to put a check mark on the whole "first year as new parents" thing! Some things I'll miss, some things I won't. I can't wait to see what's coming next (terrible twos? Screaming toddlers? Not myyyy child ;))

Things I'll miss:
  • Breastfeeding: I know. Haven't I been talking about how time consuming and overwhelming and irritating it can be? Well, yes, and it is at times. But then there are those times where you feel overwhelmed with how connected you are with this little person and how needed you are. It creates those moments where you have to stop and just be. And now that those moments aren't happening so much, of course, I miss them.
  • Holding: I can hold her now, sure, but my back is a mess and the squirmy, leg-kicking ball of energy she has become does not mix well with lasting embraces. I look at pictures of when she was teeny tiny and the one thing I miss the most is that little head on my shoulder and that little swaddled bundle I could carry around.
Things I won't:
  • Breastfeeding: Because, as you know, it can be very time consuming, overwhelming and irritating.
  • Diapers: Uggh. They are gross. But potty training is gonna be gross too. Guess there's no winning when you're dealing with someone else's waste.
  • Teething: The drooling, the lack of sleep, the seeing your child in pain. She went through so much to get those little teeth. Now let the adventures begin of all the terrifying and hilarious ways she will lose all those baby teeth (bag of rocks to the face? A bite of hard food?)
Things I look foward to:
  • Talking: She is quite the animated babbler and loves to use her limited vocabulary ("mama", "papa", "hi"). I can't wait to hear what else she has to say. Maybe Wes and I should watch the swearing?
  • Walking: I may regret this.
  • Doing stuff: Drawing, playing at the park (now we just crawl, swing, and attempt to eat grass at the park) doing little crafts. Having her able to do more should make the days a little more exciting.

Basically, what I'll miss is...everything and what I most look foward to is...everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment