Sunday, September 2, 2012

Grandpa

September 3rd was my grandpa's birthday as well as the day he died. He was a huge part of my life and even though he died when I was only 10 or 11, I miss him and think about him all the time. This poem is for him.


Mother’s Day and you appeared behind the flowers
Fragrant and standing tall again.
I took your hands
 So large and wrinkled
A lesson in masculinity.
 
And in them I felt your hanky
An off white cloth catching me softly.
Your newspaper shook
And swallowed your top half.
We went on one last car ride
And then another
And I knew we circled the world.
I stole a sip of beer and let out your tooth-filled laugh
And the world was as good as you.
 
The hospital silenced you
Pulled you away piece by piece.
You tended roses and gave me the dead ones to bring back to life
Through pure appreciation.
 
When your petals dropped I gave them back to you.
 
It took you a year to pass.
My sister and I were brought in to say
Goodbye, it’s okay to go,
Goodbye.
You reached into your pocket to give us money
And your hands slid uselessly down the side of your gown.
Goodbye to the emaciation, the tubes, the smell
 But then in the driveway
In the rain
Wait
Wait.
 
You squeezed my hand at the end.
Even though a date was chosen (your birthday)
There was still shrieking, still disbelief.
Knowing doesn’t help.
 
My daughter has your eyes
Cool, deep grey and blue.
The eyes of roses and car rides
Of protection and infinity.
 
I brought you back.

2 comments:

  1. Simply beautiful. As beautiful as his love for you girls. I am so glad to have witnessed your relationship from the sidelines. It was a lesson in familial love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tanya, that is a wonderful poem. Absolutely beautiful and probably my favorite you've ever written. I choked up at the end, near perfection wonderful writer lady.

    ReplyDelete