Thursday, November 8, 2012

Leaving Your Child Alone

Contrary to my normal schedule, which is writing at night, I'm doing my blog post this morning. And Seeley is at my feet playing. We've been inside all week because her cold came back and I've had some interesting insights. I can't play with Seeley all the time. And I shouldn't. Children need to learn to entertain themselves and explore their own creativity. I realized that the idea that I should always be there as a playmate may in fact be detrimental. It's adorable to watch her play and read and look out the window and it's fascinating to see what holds her interest.
I think I feel like I should always be playing with her because I'm imposing my adult brain on her. I'm used to being entertained. To things happening in front of my face to occupy my time. But I remember being a kid, when time evaporated and I could be consumed with wonder and experimentation. I have a distinct memory of staring at a carpet and looking at the fibers and the way it was woven. I don't think boredom exists for children.
Seeley is an only child and that's new territory for us all. She will not have siblings to run around with or build forts with or hatch elaborate runaway plans with. I don't know how to handle that. I suppose it's all about a balance between being with friends, with family and herself. As it is for us all.

Relaxing in her own little world.

Alone time.

No comments:

Post a Comment