Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Fighting the Good Fight: John Taylor Gatto

Our baby isn't due for three more weeks and I've already thought long and hard about school. It's not that I'm going to be one of those "helicopter parents", it's that I think our compulsary school system is seriously messed up.

Enter John Taylor Gatto. Gatto taught in public schools for over 30 years and was named both New York City and New York State Teacher of the Year. And he thinks our compulsary school system is messed up. As a teacher myself I constantly felt conflicted. Gatto confirms that students are not learning much of anything. Except to be dependent on authority figures for knowledge and validation. Where is self-initiated learning in this system? Is it even possible to combine independent thinking with our current system? I do not want our daughter thrown into the shuffle and turned into a mindless follower who doesn't trust her own interests and opinions. But does that mean homeschool?

Gatto's books, lectures and a forthcoming documentary are a must for anyone questioning how school is molding our children. Our minds are all we have and we need to protect, enrich and empower them. I heard yesterday that Gatto had a heart attack. I truly hope that we have this man around for many years to come. He has been insturmental in helping people young and old open their eyes and take charge of their time and lives.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started my education at a Montessori school in Palm Springs and really thrived. Then we moved to Southern Oregon where there wasn't one. I had to go to preschool in wait for 1st Grade. Then I had to do what everyone else was doing (which was more waiting), so I "tuned out." Public School was a big mess for me. I still remember it as a traumatic experience. I can honestly say that I don't have one good memory about it. Mom and Dad then home schooled us in a group setting. The school closed when my parents divorced and I was terrified of public school. Now there seems to be a good foundation in place for consistency so home schooled kids don't turn into the educational version of foster kids (bouncing from one educational home to the next).

    I am a big fan of Montessori, but Matt was too old by the time I applied for him when he was in kindergarten. If I had enrolled him when he was 2 or 3, it would have been the perfect place for him. Out of my fear of the Public School System, I ended up putting him in Parochial School, which was a disaster that lasted eight years. The education was fine; it was the environment was wrong for him in every way.

    Portland has so many group activities for home schooled kids. I think you would be amazing at it! If not, check into Montessori before you're too late like I was. I wish I had known earlier.

    ReplyDelete