Monday, October 31, 2011

Choosing Midwives

The Midwives: Michaela, Pamela and Monica
Look who's name is up there!
We have only a few more visits with our midwives, then we're off to find a pediatrician. I doubt we will ever find health care as amazing as what was provided by our midwives at Partera Midwifery (check out their website here: www.parteramidwifery.com .) I know that people have varying opinions and fears about stepping outside of traditional medicine, especially when it comes to childbirth; but I would choose this option again and again for a few main reasons:

1) The time we were given: No sitting in a waiting room, no doctor forgetting things we've previously discussed. Our appointments lasted an hour, sometimes more. An hour gave us enough time to ask questions and get detailed answers. Spending so much time with our midwives helped us develop a genuine bond that will be greatly missed.

2) The availablilty of the midwives: I have called and texted our midwives at all hours of the day and have had them do a home visit when we felt unsure about certain aspects of the pregnancy.

3) Self-empowerment: It feels strange to go to a medical professional and have them give you options for deal with what's ailing you. For every decision that needed to be made our midwives gave us the information and let us and us alone decide what tests, shots, etc. we wanted with no judgement whatsoever. I never realized how accustomed I was to being told what to do by doctors. When I gave birth the midwives were present but I did the work. They did not intervene except to check the babies heart beat. They were my cheerleaders:)

4) Experience: For some reason a lot of people think midwives are just hippie women with no credentials who decide to assist with birth on a whim. Not. true. Licensed midwives have just as much experience and training as doctors, they just use different methods.

If someone you love tells you they're interested in using midwives during their pregnancy and you don't know how to feel about it, consider how empowering and enlightning this experience can be.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this blog post because it just reaffirmed my admiration and love of midwives and what an awesome option they provide. My older sister went with midwives for the birth of her first child and I was SO impressed at how smoothly everything was handled and the care she received was top notch. So much better than what would have been given at a traditional hospital.

    ReplyDelete