Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Days of Stay-At-Home Mommy-ing

When Wes and I decided to start a family, we both wanted one parent to stay home with the baby. Not only did we think this was best for our baby, we thought it fit the lifestyle we were trying to achieve in which our home was a place of productivity and self-sufficiancy. Up until 13 days ago, I was a stay-at-home wife/mommy to be (how 1950s, I know) but now we have the chance to live what we talked about. So how is it going?

One thing I've learned about parenting and running a household is that schedules are important, but don't expect to follow them closely, if at all! I'll get the laundry done today...eventually, it just doesn't have to be before I do x,y, and z. It's also equally true that if something is really important I've been able to manage it. For example, it's important to us that we both know how to cook and that we cook from scratch as much as possible. Although takeout and boxed dinners sound tempting when I'm facing a dinner that takes three hours to make, it's important to us to eat this way and were always happy in the end when we have home cooked meals.
Tonight's dinner: burrtios with homemade tortillas!
Our first year growing vegetables. Success! (not all were this lucky)
Mmmm Sage.
Another thing I've learned is to enjoy the small moments. As a stay-at-home parent a lot of the stuff I do will seem pretty mundane as it's happening. Doing dishes, nursing the baby; not too exciting. But I've changed from feeling like I should be "doing something" with the baby (like what? she's two weeks old!) to just enjoying looking at her and talking to her. Things might change in the future but for right now things are going just how we hoped:)

No comments:

Post a Comment