Thursday, October 6, 2011

Due Date Schmu Date

Be Patient. She'll come on her birthday.

Yesterday, October 5th, was the most common birthday in the United States (the least common birthday is February 29th: leap year). I wonder, how many of those birthday babies had October 5th due dates? I am officially 39 weeks and one day pregnant today and I'm working hard at staying patient, but it's so hard! My midwives and yoga instructor have been really great at emphasizing that the baby will come when she's ready and that due dates are only a rough estimate. The other day my yoga teacher made me smile when she said "the baby will come on her birthday." When I wake up in the morning now and say "maybe I'll go into labor today" I can imagine her saying "but mom, it's not my birthday!"
Despite all the support and encouragement to let things happen when they may, I am sucked into the common idea that most women have or should have their babies before or on their due date. I've found some statistics that show how wrong this presumption is, especially for first time moms:
  • only about 3% of women give birth ON their due date. My midwives told me this and it makes sense. Yet most pregnant women I know, myself included, immediately start thinking of who the baby will share a birthday with, what day of the week they'll be born on, etc. the second they are given a specific due date.
  • due dates are based on a 28 day cycle. Your due date might be an accurate reflection if you have a consistent 28 day cycle, but who has that? Most women fluctuate between longer and shorter cycles, which could mean a week or two disparity.
  • 20.6% of all births are inductions (www.ivillage.com/induction-question/6-a-144633)  with most inductions being suggested in the 41st and 42nd week. I understand that sometimes they are necessary and that it becomes dangerous for the baby to stay in the womb past 42 weeks. But 20.6%? It seems like we’re all going a little crazy with our impatience!
  • most first time moms deliver after their due date, during week 41. Another fact from my midwives. If this is true, then why are so many women being offered inductions at 41 weeks, as noted above?
In the end it won't matter how long I had to wait. Whether her birthday is October 7th or 20th we will be happy to have her. So I will wait and enjoy the days I have left of my pregnancy. Well, I'll try....

1 comment:

  1. My mom gave birth to me 3 weeks late...and look how mess'd up I am! haha j/k, j/k. I'm sure it won't be that long for you.

    ReplyDelete