Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Raising an Individual or I Love Teaching But School is a Problem

"[. . . ] one of the most deep rooted of the causes of our problems is the way we treat children, and above all babies. I am equally convinced that no program of social and political change that does not include and begin with changes in the ways in which we bear and rear children has any chance of making things better." - John Holt Teach Your Own.

Seeley turns two months old this week. She is growing so fast and I am in awe of how much she is learning. It's amazing to watch her discover the world; her actions are completely pure. The sun, her hands, my face, it all has meaning to her. She stops to take in everything. She has taught me to do the same.

This time is so special. And I know that eventually that spark will dim. As a teacher who worked with students from kindergarten to 12th grade I saw the spark die frequently. Part of it is growing up, but there are heartbreaking things we do to eachother to make sure we all fall in line.

For as long as we can we want to let Seeley learn and interact with the world in whatever way is natural for her. As a teacher I never felt right promoting the idea that all children learn x,y, and z at this time and in this way. Yes, schools promote multiple intelligences, but that is within the framework of school itself, which promotes receiving information over first hand experience (due to truancy rules) and a set pace for learning and processing information, or rather, memorizing and regurgitating information. Little ones in schools are sorted academically (nevermind that students can learn from eachother) and begin to learn right and wrong. Seeley will surely misbehave, but I feel explinations of "right" and "wrong" are often used for convenience and not as learning moments in individual development. I know when she figures out how she's "supposed" to feel, react and spend her time, that wonderful and spontaneous interaction with her surroundings will be gone.

I did the average 12 years in public school. I honestly feel like I was shaped into who I am in large part by school; and that's not all bad! But I remember having moments where I thought "I'm not supposed to think this" or "no one else does this, so I won't." What could have been if I was encouraged to bring my own ideas and uniqueness to a group instead of conforming to a set of standards formed outside the group? I want to raise a person who believes in and has confidence in her choices. Whatever she does she needs to own it. Her life is hers. Not her teachers. Not her doctors. Not mine or her fathers. Hers.

It seems silly to be talking about school when Seeley is only two months old. But I see her natural wonder and excitement about the world and I want to do everything I can to keep that spark alive. I think we too quicly toss aside our individuality to conform and feel comfortable and I think I can show Seeley from the beginning that that's not the only way to live. When she goes to school (unless I homeschool) I want her to be a headstrong, confident little girl. She'll need to be.



No comments:

Post a Comment