Thursday, November 17, 2011

Co-sleeping and Proud!

This makes me so angry!
snuggly girl. And yes, that is the crib in the background!

Happy co-sleeers.
I saw the above ad yesterday and boy did I get mad! Sleeping with your parents is like sleeping next to a knife? I don't think so. Cosleeping is common in other parts of the world, but here in the United States we seem to think babies will instantly get smothered due to their irresponsible, ignorant parents. I'm not an expert, but I can tell you that co-sleeping provides comfort and stability for babies (for my baby I'm sure of it) and that if you are safe about it (putting baby on her back, making sure their aren't loose covers and pillows around, etc.) it is a great time to bond as a family.

Wes and I have been co-sleeping with Seeley since she was born. It wasn't something we sat down and talked about; we naturally brought her into bed with us. I love waking up in the middle of the night and kissing her cheek, or patting her back to help her fall asleep. I can even nurse her without either of us having to move!

Ads like the one above make me mad because they take what has been done for generations and project it as something wrong and dangerous. I will never judge another person for how he/she chooses to parent (unless she is neglecting or hurting her children, obviously) but I hope people are smarter than to believe this nonsense!

No comments:

Post a Comment